The plan covers a wide range of withdrawal and dismissal cases, including:
- Academic Difficulties
- Most Disciplinary Dismissals
- Injury, Illness, or Mental Health Conditions
- Job Loss or Family Financial Problems
- Family Relocation
- Death of a Parent
There are some exclusions, including pregnancy, substance abuse and suicide.
THE FINE PRINT
“Voluntary Withdrawal” — In the event your child has attended the School for more than 14 consecutive days from the first “class day” of attendance and withdraws or is withdrawn for any reason other than those listed under the Exclusions, We will pay a designated percentage of any “unearned fees” due to or from your student to the School for His or Her credit.
“Dismissal”— In the event your child has attended the School for more than 14 consecutive days from the first “class day” of attendance and is dismissed by the School for any scholastic or disciplinary reason other than those listed under the Exclusions, We will pay a designated percentage of any “unearned fees” due to or from your student to the School for His or Her credit.
“Medical Withdrawal” — If your child becomes disabled by reason of Injury or Sickness and is thereby continuously prevented from attending all scheduled classes for a period of time equal to or in excess of the Loss Duration Period, We will pay a designated percentage of any “unearned fees” that exceed the elimination period due to or from you to the school for his or her credit. The Loss Duration Period and the Elimination Period are as stated in the Benefit Schedule. During His or Her period of incapacity your child must be regularly treated by a licensed physician unrelated to your child. Notice to TABS Insurance Inc. must include a Doctor’s written statement which medically certifies that the Sickness or Injury prevents your child from attending all scheduled classes. For mental health conditions, a Doctor must certify that your child suffers from a condition recognized in the DSM-V and that such condition prevents the student from attending all scheduled classes.
Coverage does not apply to loss due to:
1) For “voluntary withdrawal,” “dismissal,” or “medical withdrawal”, the following scenarios:
a) any hostile or warlike action in time of peace or war. This includes action in hindering, combating or defending against an actual, impending or expected attack.
b) any rebellion, riot, civil commotion or action taken by a government authority in hindering, combating or defending against such an event.
c) any order or a de jure or de facto governmental or sovereign power directed to the student.
d) any nuclear reaction or radiation or radioactive contamination.
e) any certified act of terrorism. Withdrawal or dismissal directly or indirectly caused by a certified act of terrorism is excluded regardless of any other cause or event that contributes concurrently or separately to the withdrawal or dismissal.
f) destruction of any of the School’s physical facilities due to any cause whatsoever.
g) School’s bankruptcy, insolvency or other financial instability. This must result in the School’s inability to operate and to provide formal academic instruction.
2) For “medical withdrawals” only, the following scenarios:
a) the use of any drug, narcotic or an agent which is similarly classed or has similar effects unless it is given by and while under the care and attendance of a Doctor;
b) suicide or intentionally self-inflicted Injury or self inflicted Sickness;
c) alcoholism or use of alcohol;
d) A pre-existing condition, causing injury or sickness, if during 180 days preceding the coverage effective date, there was medical care, consultation or treatment for the condition.
3) For any “dismissal” or “withdrawal” from the School:
a) because of being inducted or drafted into the armed forces or being assigned alternative duty in lieu of active military service by His or Her Draft Board.
b) prior to or within the first 14 consecutive days after His or Her first “class day” of attendance.
4) for temporary non-medical absences.
5) for temporary suspension of your child.
6) for the School’s temporary suspension of classes.
7) for the School’s closing for any reason.
8) for boycotting of classes by your child.
9) for changes of your child’s status because of reduction in class schedule or for a change from resident student to day student or day student to resident student for any reason.
10) for “withdrawal” or absence from class attendance for the balance of the period of enrollment as specified in the Student / Tuition Fees Schedule, due to completion of academic requirements or early graduation.